Mold Testing Mold Removal – With all the water issues that surrounds our Michigan homes and businesses, it is bound to be a serious threat. So what can you do?
Rapid Recovery Service has certified and experienced mold remediation experts available to quickly evaluate, test, estimate, contain, and remediate mold, mildew, and fungus that may appear in your home, office or commercial building.
It is essential to remember Mold Testing Mold Removal resulting from water damage or a lack of proper ventilation is progressive. That is why “Timely” action must be taken by homeowners when the water damage occurs or mold is first noticed. The longer water flows or wet, damp, dark conditions exist, mold will colonize and absorb into building materials, resulting in a greater recovery problem. Merely stopping the source of the incoming water does not stop further water damage and often causes secondary damage which may be excluded on most typical homeowner insurance policies.
- Moisture control is the key to controlling mold damage.
- Avoid breathing in mold or mold spores, wear gloves and goggles to protect yourself from exposure.
- Scrub mold off hard surfaces with detergent and water, dry completely.
- Repair any plumbing leaks or water problems promptly and dry completely.
- Absorbent or porous materials (ceiling tiles, carpet, etc.) may have to be thrown out if they are moldy. Mold will grow into the porous materials making it difficult or impossible to remove completely.
- Do not paint or caulk surfaces damaged by mold, cleanup mold and dry areas before painting.
Property Owner Tips – Mold Testing Mold Removal
Can I Use Bleach To Cleanup Mold Damage?
It is not recommended. There may be instances, however, when professional judgment may indicate its use (for example, when immune-compromised individuals are present). In most cases, it is not possible or desirable to sterilize an area; a background level of mold spores will remain – these spores will not grow if the moisture problem has been resolved. If you choose to use disinfectants or biocides, always ventilate the area and exhaust the air to the outdoors.
Signs of the presence of excessive mold include:
- The presence of visible mold.
- Strong, musty odors.
- Any evidence of past moisture problems that might have caused undetected mold growth.
- Excessive humidity.
“U.S. EPA Region 5 receives more calls concerning mold problems than any other single indoor contaminant. U.S. EPA has published two excellent guidance documents that will help homeowners and building managers deal with this important, emerging issue: Mold Remediation in School and Commercial Buildings; and A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your Home.”